by Mike Bennett - Tribune Star
The band’s name surely conjures reminiscences in most members of the under-60 crowd.
Maybe their freshest memories of Styx emanate from replays of “Come Sail Away” and “Too Much Time on My Hands” on their favorite classic rock radio station, well-worn CDs stashed in their pickup truck’s glove box, or frequent mentions of the group’s virtues in Adam Sandler movies.
Yet another form of Styx remembrances has arrived for Wabash Valley fans. The band returns to Hulman Center for the first time in nearly 32 years for a concert at 7:30 p.m. today. As of Tuesday, tickets remained available at various levels of the facility’s cozier theater-wedge configuration, ranging from $126 (a few single seats) to $76, $66, $46, $36 and $26.
Styx’s current lineup features long-time members Tommy Shaw (lead vocals, guitars), James “JY” Young (lead vocals, guitars) and Chuck Panozzo (bass, vocals), along with a trio of musicians who joined the group during the past two decades — Todd Sucherman (drums), Lawrence Gowan (lead vocals, keyboards) and Ricky Phillips (bass, guitar, vocals).
To help jog your memory before the show, here’s a quick, (fairly) easy quiz of Styx history. Enjoy.
1. What founding member of Styx, no longer with the band, wrote “Lady,” “The Grand Illusion” and “Come Sail Away,” among others?
2. In which movie did star Adam Sandler skewer music critics who dismiss Styx’s musical contributions?
3. Styx released five consecutive multi-platinum albums, and landed 16 singles in the Top 40 on the U.S. Billboard charts. What is their only No. 1 single?
4. In what city did the band form in the early 1970s?
5. Styx received two Grammy Award nominations for engineering on their albums, but also received a 1980 Grammy nomination for Best Rock Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group for their “Cornerstone” album. What band won that award instead in 1980?
6. Can you name five of the eight Styx songs to hit the Top 10? (Hint, note the earlier mentions.)
7. In 2005, Styx released an album of cover songs, “Big Bang Theory.” Which Beatles song was included on that compilation?
8. Which Styx album was written in a “rock opera” format?
9. Name the song in which the following lyric appears: “So please believe me, my heart is in your hands.”
10. Lots of local folks, this week, might say they remember seeing Styx at Hulman Center back in the day; when did they appear here?
Find the answers at tribstar.com!